Sunday, January 1, 2012

Keep on keepin' on

Wowza, I can't believe it's already 2012. It's been a whirlwind of a year and I wouldn't even know how to recap it if I tried. I'll go with some random highlights and low points because that's always fun, right?
But first...let's go over what's been going on these last few weeks since I neglected to update last week. There was just no time! Ok, there probably was but the last thing I wanted to do was write about how much fun I was having when I was having fun. 
Last week feels like forever ago. The week started off with hangs, movies and nerdy bored games. We saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I saw the Swedish version and I wanted to see how David Fincher's version would compare. It was really good and I'm excited for the release of the next ones. I also need to find some time to read those books. We played nerdy bored games til nearly 4 am on Thursday and then got up early to prepare for the trek to Michigan. We got to Lansing kind of late but I was able to see Scuba and his new house and my Yen which involved wine drinking and Ticket to Ride. It was a short stay in Lansing but totally worth it. 
Luckily this year my family decided to come to Nashville to celebrate Christmas on the 27th which meant I could go to Jason's family Christmas and he could come to mine. It will probably never work out that easily again ha. So we had a very large Christmas Eve with all of his brothers, step-brothers, in-laws and other family members. The amount of people I was introduced to was overwhelming. There were two highlights of that day, one: I received a huge MSU flag that I will be hanging in my office and two: J's Grandma had me cracking up with her stories about being a nurse. All of his family was really nice. Then Christmas day we made the trip to Mt. Pleasant to spend the day with his Mom and Step-dad who are also very cool. We spent 7 hours drinking wine, eating and playing games. That's my kind of Christmas. 
The 26th was spent in Toledo, Oh to see some of J's friends. His friend Josh is one of the funniest people I've ever met and is always a great host. By the time 2 a.m. came around I was ready to pass out so we could get up at 8 and drive back to Louisville. We drove from Louisville to Nashville after making a quick pit stop to shower and pack more clothes. It's exhausting just to retell it. It was five days in a row of poor sleep and too much food. We finally got to Nashville and met my family (sans my Dad) for dinner and then a tour around the Opryland Hotel. We got to sleep in a bit and then spend the entire next day with my Mom, siblings, in-laws and niece and nephew (who are the cutest kids ever). I spent a lot of time encouraging my niece and nephew to take advantage of jumping on the hotel beds and running amok. It may not have been appreciated by others but I found it hilarious and they seemed to have a great time. We went to the ICE! show at Gaylord which was 2 million pounds of ice carved into the Pixar characters from the movie Madagascar. It was insane. They gave us huge parkas to wear since it was 9 degrees in the show. It was an incredible sight and probably not something I'll see again. My Dad was supposed to come down with my family but had this work thing to handle and since he's the boss he couldn't get out of it. I was really bummed that we didn't get to spend time with him and I know he was sad about it too but maybe that will just give me an excuse to head up to Michigan again soon. 
I headed back to Louisville after my family left which brings us back up to date. We celebrated New Years with the Bandits who are all awesome people. Everyone dressed up and we had a New Year's cookout, which was the first I had ever been to. It was relatively warm outside for January and the boy made an amazing dinner for us. Lots of alcohol was consumed, though I kept it to a minimum for the most part. 
2011 in review: (not in chronological order)
-Moved from my own apartment back to my sisters so I could go to school without constantly worrying about finances. 
-Broke my ankle in two places which resulted in surgery and extensive complaining on my part along with a lot of pain and more bitching. 
-Started graduate school and kicked the first semester's ass.
-Attended my first moped rally (with several following) and met an amazing man that makes me very happy.
-Made some more great friends through school and other means.
-Became addicted to my smartphone and netflix
-Continued to miss my Michigan peeps.
-Learned a lot of things.
-Rediscovered my love for Otis Redding and dancing.

I resolve to live my life the way I want to without worrying about the things I can't control. Bring it on, 2012. 

No comments:

Post a Comment