Monday, January 16, 2012

I'm just pulling on a line, on a line, but sometimes it's pulling on me

This last week was spent doing an enormous amount of digging and research on something I'm not even sure is going to pan out or that I want to happen. 
After finishing up some reading today I have been looking for placement and agencies (yet again) in Louisville. I'm sitting at a Starbucks and continue to be distracted by an ominous looking hillbilly sitting across the store. In the last thirty minutes he's gotten up twice and squinted his eyes as he kept them on me, going outside and looking at me through the window. His Nascar jacket is really flashy, eye-catching to the local ladies I imagine. I'm not sure what it is that he wants unless he's just confused as to what I'm doing. Reading is a tricky concept for people that look like they struggled to make it past the third grade. That's incredibly judgmental of me. Sorry MLK, I know it's not what you had in mind. 
Anyway, classes began this week and I also resumed my internship. I was happy to be back at my internship and happy to see people at school. It helps me get back into the swing of things which is going to be a slow process considering I spent a month in Louisville and was able to see J everyday. Now I have to wait a month to see him. Lamesauce. I shouldn't be complaining since he just left today but waiting until February 9th is going to suck. 24 days to be exact. Bah...distance is tricky. 
I think the classes I have this semester will be interesting. Looking over the assignments and reading for all of them helped for me to start developing that anxiety that I've been missing for the last month. He'll settle in fully by week three or so and then grow in intensity until the end of the semester. Added worry involves interviewing at field placements for next year and trying to find a summer job. Hell, that's four months away, I've already been thinking about those things for the last two months. 
I'm in a funk today so hopefully within the next week I'll develop a little more sunny disposition and get my head back on right. As well as the disappearance of this compulsiveness to eat like crap that hasn't left since the holidays. Oh winter you kill me. That's ok....at some point in the week I'll find the energy to get back on track and into a better routine. 
In the book Spontaneous Happiness Dr. Weil discusses the importance of exercise, sunlight and looking for things to be thankful for, self-help book or not I think those are legitimate suggestions. The book gets a little annoying at times with the commentary by 'believers' in some of his methods. The testimonials make me want to stop reading but they are few and far between enough that I power through. For someone that has struggled with depression or someone that wants to help people not struggle anymore, it's worth a read. I've not finished it yet but hopefully I can do that before the semester really starts to get crazy. 
Have a good, positive week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment