Saturday, January 14, 2012

this little light of mine

Lately I've been trying to catch up on Dexter. This then leads me to staying up way too late, wide awake, thinking about murder. This isn't the most effective sleep aid I've ever tried. I'm nearing the end of season 5 and thankfully I have no idea of what's to come and it has yet to be ruined by status updates or commercials for season 6 when they were airing, though that season is now over too. Hopefully I'll watch that before the next season starts airing. Stupid school getting in the way of regular tv watching and such. 
I love Dexter because you spend every episode waiting for him to get caught for something that is completely illegal and amoral, yet you don't want him to get busted....Were it real life I likely wouldn't feel the same about the vigilante justice that he doles out on a weekly basis. I'm not ok with murder or murderers murdering murderers...Say that 3 times fast. 
I could get down with a modern day Robin Hood. Stealing from the rich, giving to the poor. It's better than stealing from the middle class, am I right? 
The reading I did for school today reminded me about how much more I need to learn about how the economy works and how to work with it and still make an impact (as a social worker, not personally..I'm always going to be poor). The reading also made me nervous about the next election and the effects a more conservative president would have on this economy and a job for me in the future. Actually right now I should be worrying about Congress. Sometimes I fantasize about what I would do with a never-ending budget. Oh what lascivious fantasies they are....better public education, a functional public healthcare system, oh my, more government regulation on corporations...the list goes on. Salacious I know, but a girl can dream. 
I'm still that 8 year old girl that wanted world peace, just more articulate and reasonable for the most part. It makes me wonder how many people are still their 8 year old selves in the bodies of adults. Do people actually grow up to be what they want to be? Not necessarily astronauts or professional football players but the type of person they wanted to be. Dexter knew what he was going to be. 
I don't think that you need to have a degree or need to be a social worker to make a difference but I'm not charismatic enough to get there by any other route. I just know that no longer can I complain about something without feeling guilty for not making an effort to change it. I wonder how other people feel like they make an impact. We aren't solitary creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment