Thursday, September 29, 2011

Legally recognized member of the Bible Belt.

I finally had to break down and get a Tennessee driver's license today, mostly under the assumption that I may keep the points from following (that I just earned via a speeding ticket) because it's not been processed yet. We'll see about that. 
I like to think most times that I'm pretty intelligent. I have my moments of blatant stupidity, sometimes concerning specific parts of my life, but overall I do ok for myself. Right now I know there is a lot of underlying stress that I'm feeling regarding school and my impending field placement that starts next week. On top of that we all have social obligations as well which is supposed to be fun but can also add an element of stress as well. It's times like these that part of my brain shuts down and doesn't allow me to feel that stress. Part of me is very thankful, the other part of me tries to figure out why I'm feeling lethargic and moody. Well, duh, I'm overwhelmed. So this is when I make an effort to put things into perspective. I try to find reasons to laugh, reasons to be thankful and ways to have unadulterated fun.
 It's harder to do those things when I'm seeing people that I love struggle. And then I feel guilty for having it easier than them. Four people are some of the most important people to me are dealing with less than ideal situations, everything from medical issues to money trouble and relationship issues. The only thing I want to do is make things better for them. I want a magic wand to make all their troubles go away. Instead I sit here thinking about how fortunate I am. Rawr. Thankfully most of their issues are fixable, it's just going to take time or effort or sacrifice. Thankfully they aren't dealing with some of the situations that the rest of America is dealing with like persistent unemployment, or dealing with issues like those in 'undeveloped' countries where people are attempting to escape persecution and genocide. A woman in Saudi Arabia is going to receive 10 lashes for driving a car since it is still illegal for women to do so there. They may get the right to vote in 2015, baby steps I suppose. 
So I guess what I'm trying to say is, for as much as I wish I could fix everything for everyone that I love, sometimes you just have to watch people struggle once you've exhausted all of your ability to be helpful. That's something that I will also need to keep in mind for the future in my line of work. That doesn't mean that I won't keep trying. 
My reason for laughing today was getting sexually harassed at the Cafe by a man that eluded to ejaculating on me. He was a classy man smoking a cigar and after asking if it was ok to smoke his cigar near me he then suggested that he just blow it on me and told me to 'take that however I wanted." I don't want to take that at all, sir, but thank you.
Reason for being thankful. There were people at the DMV waiting for 3 hours to get processed when my wait was only just over an hour. 
My unadulterated fun: In 30 minutes I'll be heading to the Wild Horse to go see Hanson perform, with reserved seating of course. If that's not a blast from the past I don't know what is. I saw them the last time at the ripe old age of thirteen. Awesome. 
So intense. Actually I hear they are pretty damn talented. It's something to do on a Thursday night. And they love Jesus so what better way to celebrate my new resident status than with some bible thumping boys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment