Monday, September 26, 2011

I walked into a church and wasn't struck by lightning.

I'm currently at the cafe and there is a man dressed in drag with angel wings on. Just another Monday in West End I suppose. People in white tee shirts are congregating as well and I am pretty sure I need to leave soon before I get distracted by all of the people watching, but first things first, blog.
This past week was a hair busy. I have three papers due this week, one of them I was finishing up this morning an hour before it was due, oops. APA citation can suck it. I completed the easy one last week and finished up the third this evening. That doesn't include the reading I'm supposed to be doing that was neglected over the weekend. I was too busy doing sweet things like dancing to Kesha and getting a speeding ticket....ugh.
I headed to Louisville on Thursday after spending a mere 3 full days in Nashville since the last trip. I fail at being a resident of Tennessee lately. JW and I spent Thursday and Friday night in Louisville hanging with his friends and being lazy at home. We abuse the usage of netflix and his couch to an extreme when we are at his house. Oh well. Saturday morning we packed up the car and drove 3 and 1/2 hours to Columbus, OH. Full of Buckeyes and college football enthusiasts. While driving we also came across a festival for dogs...not sure what's involved there but I'd hate to be the one to clean up after that celebration.  We were running a bit behind so there was a lot of speeding in the rental car, I didn't drive on the way there but I did see some of the same 'you're going to hell' billboards in Ohio. When we got to the hotel and checked in we met up with his friends after changing into wedding appropriate clothes. I got to wear the gray dress, woot. The ceremony was at a church, of course and I was uncomfortable, naturally. The words to the hymn that was sang must have escaped me. I also realized that I'm not the only person watching people after the pastor says, 'let us pray.' Yeah I caught you not praying two-year-old toddler.
After the ceremony and making idle conversation with strangers we headed to the reception. Open bar. Sub-par D.J. Open bar. Dancing. 
The wedding and reception made me think about the whole idea of marriage. The pastor said some pretty insightful things about marriage and it just made me wonder why people do it. Not committing to someone for the rest of your life but the whole circus that surrounds it. From what I understand it's a pretty stressful thing to plan a wedding, it's insanely expensive and it lasts just a few hours. When I was 11 I decided I wanted to get married in a field, barefoot. I don't think my mind has been changed. I also want an ice cream cake which I've been told would be a logistical nightmare. Pssh. I want what I want. 
On the way back from Columbus I was tired and was speeding heavily so we could just get back. Mistake. I had to wake J up to tell him we were getting pulled over. No mercy on that ticket and I will be contacting the Circuit court so I can take a driving class to hopefully not get the full 3 points. On top of that I'm supposed to be getting a TN drivers license in a month. Crap. After being pulled over I drove to the nearest gas station, cried for about two minutes and J took the keys so I didn't have to drive anymore. Thankfully. It was also decided that I didn't need to drive another 2.5 hours back to Nashville so I stayed the night. We went to a potluck at his friends and it made me miss that sense of community I used to have in Michigan. I have friends here but it appears that some of us are being pulled apart by schedules and Jesus. Oi.
So here goes the next week, it has already begun and there is much to do. Next Tuesday I will begin my field placement and things will likely become hectic. Welcome to grad school.
Have a lovely week, I hope I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment