Sunday, June 12, 2011

Well that wasn't so f*cking courteous, was it?

Do you ever have weeks when you just wish you weren't a grown up? Those were the kind of thoughts I was having this week like, "why can't I just hang out in the toy aisle and play with the bouncy balls?" or, "do I really need to mail out these bills because I really would just rather go swimming?" Nothing about this week said, "start your new job, make a good impression and kick some ass." My ass felt like it had been kicked and I had very little motivation to do much of anything. My answer to that every morning at my new job was make and drink an entire pot of coffee. I just wound up jittery and distractible. On top of that I just really wanted to eat ice cream and be lazy because the heat and sun were just not agreeing with my body.
Anyway, the new job should be and will be discussed. So here's the gist of it, over 8 weeks I am expected to research and develop three "outcomes" that are a result of the efforts of the court appointed special advocates (CASA) in the state of Tennessee. Basically I need to find three relevant statistics that justify the funding and support that CASA gets from the government and private funders, easy right? Also my job entails learning the computer program used to collect data and notes from the advocates so that I can compile data and make it into some sensical piece of information that can be generalized and then published in order to promote the program. The first week involved me browsing the internet for information and trainings about the program which could be done in about 8 hours, I was given 40....yeesh. Needless to say I learned this week that sitting in an office at a desk for 40 hours isn't something my brain or body like very much. In fact my body rejected that idea for about 30 of those hours and I was constantly bouncing, readjusting, tapping my foot or getting up out of my chair. My coworkers probably think I have ADHD or an addiction to meth. Obviously I have neither I'm just used to being able to move or chasing kids for 8 hours and those things make the day go much faster. Eight hours at the new job FEEL like 8 hours for sure. It's made me start to worry about my career path and concentration in grad school because I will be more geared toward an office type setting rather than working directly with clients. Hmm. My coworkers are really nice and since I only have two I have less people to worry about looking like an idiot in front of. My boss is nice, very relaxed and seems pretty no nonsense which I always like. Unfortunately I do need to make sure I keep my language in check unlike with the last boss. I'm practicing replacement words to my favorite word, frick being the most commonly used. I will say that the office setting makes me feel very grown up which again, I don't really like. We shall see.
This week was CMA fest week which means I was in charge of the pup considering this is the busiest work for my sister and her boyfriend. Most of the week after my workday I hung out with the pup and went to the gym or the skatepark. For the weekend I had planned to hang with friends and see my friend Brandon's band at rocketown. I still did all of those things with the addition of a very attractive boy in my presence. Friday I got a phone call that came from a fortuitous opportunity making it so I wound up in the middle of downtown Nashville meeting my visitor in the thick of it all. The people watching for CMA fest would have been like an eye-gasm for me had I cared about it at the time, I was a bit distracted though with the surprise visit. So we took care of the pup and drove out to my friends for some drinks and games. The concoction of champagne and flavored vodka (I recommend water and lots of it before sleep) then led to adventuring the my friend's very closed and fenced in swimming pool. The boys jumped in the pool and I attempted to taunt from the outside with a squirt gun but ended up getting more soaked than they were. So those of us that weren't swimming played a rousing game of Skip Bo (which was the choice game of my great Grandma) next to the pool. Skip Bo at 1 a.m. makes it much more scandalous. The fun soon ended when a female "courtesy officer" scolded us like children and chased us out. None of us were rude or being assholes but she felt the need to ask rhetorical questions and be a dick. We left without making it an issue knowing full well that we shouldn't have been out there however her attitude made me want to be a dick right back. We're grown ups, ask us to leave and we'll go, don't be an ass about it. Saturday we played with the pup, went to Grimeys
Work this week will hopefully be a little more stimulating since it will involve me visiting different counties with the CASA program. 7 weeks of work, two weeks off and then I start graduate school....not that anyone is counting or anything.
Have a wonderful week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment