Monday, June 20, 2011

I could be your state and I could be your nation

So today is Father's Day. I'm not a Father so I'm not really sure how they actually feel about having a day dedicated to them. Most men don't like cards, or at least care for them. I sent my Dad a card. Oops. I also sent him a picture of my sister and I to replace the one he's had of us on his truck visor since 2007. I don't talk much about family unless it's my sister mostly because I don't see my family much anymore, which is kind of a bummer. I called my Dad on the phone today to wish him a 'Happy Father's Day' even though I knew he wouldn't know it were Father's Day unless my Mom reminded him. My Father is a man of few words. We rarely speak on the phone and all the important bits of my life are usually relayed through my Mom. She enjoys talking anyway so I'm really ok with that. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have lengthy conversations with my Father about anything but it really just doesn't work like that. He jokes and tells stories but that's when there is an audience. Part of me feels like he's having a hard time with the idea that I'm a grown up. I think if he had his way he'd still be replacing the clutch on my go-cart for the 6th time and telling me he's not replacing it again (though he always did) or dragging our asses outside to go work in the yard because then he wouldn't have to worry about me. I swear I heard a stifled sob on the phone the day I moved away for college though he would never admit to that. I can always count on him to wrap up a phone call with this single question, "is your car running ok?" To which I always answer, "it's doing great." He gets midday phone calls from me every so often asking him what a noise my car is making could mean or if its normal that my car makes a grinding noise when I turn the wheel. The questions always makes me smile because I've realized that it's his way of making sure things are ok for me. He can't control the things that are going poorly in my life because no one can but damn it if my car is acting up you better believe he'll figure it out and fix it. We don't talk about feelings we talk about fenders and oil filters. He may be a man of few words but the things he does say always mean something to me. After moving out of Yale and onto college and then out of state I knew I could always count on him more than I realized when we lived under the same roof. Even when keeping things short and sweet he doesn't forget to tell me he loves me at the end of a call and even though that doesn't seem like a lot I didn't grow up in a house where that was verbalized much so it's growth.
Anyway, I could go on about the shit my Dad says but apparently someone already had that idea. I'll go on with my weekly events.
The new job got a bit more interesting this week and I was able to make some headway on the two main projects I am assigned to complete within those 8 weeks. I also realized that I think I just have one of those faces that makes people want to tell you everything. Sometimes that is a great thing, it's awesome. Other times its off-putting and inappropriate. This week it was somewhere in between. My boss took the opportunity if me being alone in my office to come in an vent about her employee. Like seriously vent likened to that of a dam opening. Though somewhere in the venting I was paid a pretty awesome compliment about being mature and driven without that being the point of her conversation. It was kind of funny because once she had finished you could see relief but also a little embarrassment for being so imprudent. I just sat politely and nodded my head though some of the things said about my coworker (mostly tactful) I completely agreed with though I remained neutral. No point in stirring the pot if I'll only be there 6 more weeks.
The week also included some skatepark action, seeing X-Men and then of course I headed to Louisville. It's a bit ridiculous to drive for three hours nearly every other weekend to spend time with someone but it is totally worth it. The man friend and I spent the weekend see-sawing between laziness and bouts of energy. The energy resulted in learning how to make ice cream (which was delicious!) seeing Super 8 and spending a ridiculous amount of time in a thrift store (his idea which makes me super happy to find someone that loves resaling probably as much as I do!). We also helped his friends get their house ready to be moved into which just involved painting and light sanding on my part and helped a random guy out by jump-starting his car. Laziness involved eating said ice cream and watching lots of 'Its always sunny..' I made dinner on Friday night which involved a lot of preparation and crossing my fingers it was edible. It was edible as were the leftovers. I even made dessert though I can't take credit for the shortcake part of the strawberry shortcake, still very tasty.  Saturday involved some board games and beer. Sunday was super lazy and super awesome. Somewhere in there I ate the best Mexican sandwich ever (note; this was my first ever also) which sparked some food envy. Hehe.

Have a fantastic week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment