Tuesday, May 3, 2011

We're half awake in a fake empire

It was a big week for the South and yesterday for the entire country. My own week left much to be desired and paled in comparison to anything happening to most people around the country so I'll keep this short and sweet so you can get back to CNN or twitter to stay updated on The Royal Newlyweds or Osama bin Laden. The weather was crazy around here and when the rain wasn't coming down in torrents or tornado warnings weren't flashing across t.v. screens it was sunny and amazing. Nashville got what seemed to be a light slap from the storm system when parts further South got hammered. The fatality count is up to 345 (according to ABC news) which makes that a very significant happening considering that is more than twice the death toll of the Oklahoma City bombings. Obviously those are two very different circumstances but nonetheless the storms shouldn't be glossed over or be old news because they aren't acts of terrorism. The royal wedding coverage makes me a but nauseous considering America's obsession with celebrities and fairy tales. The monarchy is to remain neutral in politics so what bearing or importance do they really have aside from being figureheads? Suppose I should read up on that because it just seems like a lot of show ponying. So bin Laden was found and slain and then buried in the ocean? I'm wondering what comes next? A lot of people think the troops will be returning soon, wrong. Half of the people happy about bin Laden being dead claim it was through no help of the current president and the other half believe it will be a large reason for him being re-elected in 2012. It's hard for me either way to celebrate killing people, evil or not. Crazy bleeding heart, pacifist, anti-American, liberal blah blah. It's good to know the leader of the al Qaeda can no longer lead them but it makes me sad to think about what will be uncovered and the implications this has for our relations with Pakistan, or whatever else we are led to through what was found in his mansion. Moral of the story is people will continue to die by the hands of other men. On a different yet slightly related note, I think our current President has a fantastic sense of humor, even better than Clinton's.
Now that I sound sufficiently ignorant I will move on to something I know even less about; human interaction and decision making.
Have you ever known that something was going to end badly but you carried on with it anyway just to kind of prove yourself right? I find it necessary to be right a lot. I also find it necessary to dissect it to death. I do things for their instant gratification but have the foresight to know I am going to hate myself soon after it's done. I'm still trying to figure out the piece of me that continues to need what I am constantly looking for and can't satiate. Lately it's been a lot of me wondering if I'm missing faith in something or in general. It's irritating.
This week involved visits, marathon watching, drinks and planning. Nothing too exciting and no awkward social encounters with the general public. I'm going to call that a win.
Have a good rest of the week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment