Monday, May 16, 2011

It's gonna hit me with a big wave.

I really need to stop posting about how great the weather is because the next week it's the opposite, I keep jinxing Nashville, oops. I'm just looking for a happy medium.
This week was another interesting one. I have been vehemently searching for a job for the summer. I think I've applied to at least 22 different jobs and I am overqualified for most of them. Having a degree in social work seems a bit of an overkill for a housekeeping job, just a guess. I just need a job so that I can pay bills through the summer, that's all I'm asking, come fall I'll have a job again and all will be right with the world. My mom voice is saying "If you had planned better with your finances you wouldn't have to work." To that voice I say 'fuck off' because I should do a lot of things differently but I don't, so now I bitch. All that I ask is that I make a livable wage. I'll likely be working a minimum of two jobs this summer which kind of puts a damper on any kind of travel plans I had. In the wise words of Tim Gunn I will just 'make it work.' Or I'm moving to a different city where I can find a job and will crash with willing participants for 12 weeks.
This work week made me glad that we only have 10 school days left. I don't hate my job. I love my clients and (some of) my coworkers and would like to say I feel like I made a difference this school year. Lately it's been 2 steps forward and 6 steps back (EFFFF I have Paula Abdul stuck in my head now!). It's so frustrating to put so much time and effort in to something so fragile and in one fell swoop its back to pieces. It could be one thing or a combination of things that makes all that hard work go away but I suppose it's also the same that makes the progress show. I work with kids that I hope aren't too far gone. The kids you wish you had or someone had gotten through to sooner. That's the hard part about working with people, there is no right equation that is a cure-all. You'd think in my free time I'd not want to be around kids but I'm totally digging this babysitting thing. I think it's because it's a nice change going from a kid that wants to throw a book at you after screaming obscenities to a kid that wants you to read him a book at bedtime. It almost makes me hopeful.
Exciting news would include officially becoming a graduate student at the University of Tennessee's College of Social Work. The only thing I can say is that it's about friggin time. I've put off my Masters for quite some time and I really want to see where this will take me next. I can't wait to get started in the fall. Also exciting news would be that I have a new scrabble opponent and shit's about to get intense. This also relates to me having a visitor for the weekend and making me realize things that I've been missing out on. There were 3 'c' words used this weekend and none of them were dirty. Chemistry. Crazy...and the last one is yours to guess. Also I learned how to make lentil burgers (sort of) and tried new things.
This weekend involved completely enjoying every minute of the weekend. I love when that happens.
My broke ass is looking forward to this coming weekend (even though I shouldn't (cos I'm poor) because it involves a music festival and possibly moped riding? Hmm. These things will take place in Louisville (I will continue to pronounce it Lew-EE ville) These next four days will probably crawl which seems to be the theme with any time not spent with fantastic people.
Have a great week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment