Sunday, April 15, 2012

Looking at the finish line

Oy.......Today is one of those days I could use a hug or a swift kick in the butt. I'm grumpy and not feeling well. Stress+not enough sleep+allergies= miserable Shannon. I just keep telling myself, "a few more days and it will all be over." Sadly I'm so exhausted that time seems to be crawling. I'll make it.
Suffice it to say I didn't do too many exciting things this week. I know, really makes you want to read on, huh? We'll just recap the highlights. 
Class. Very exciting. Internship, pretty damn good this week. On Tuesday after coming home from my internship I realized there were flowers on the kitchen counter for me with a note from my wonderful boyfriend. "Just because" flowers are the best. I like that we both take opportunities to show our appreciation for each other. It's not usually with gifts (we're both college students and poor) but gestures like that are important in a relationship. I think sometimes people (myself included) get so busy with their life that they forget to appreciate what they've got. I could use some improvement in that department with showing my friends. 
Anyway, the rest of the week was spent feverishly working on school stuff. Heavily weighted projects are all due next week so I'm plugging away. Friday at my internship we had a trainer come in (coincidentally he teaches at UT) and taught Motivational Interviewing. It's a therapeutic approach that's been really successful with mandated clients or substance abuse clients. It was a really great training and I'm glad I was allowed to participate, especially considering I don't even work with clients at my internship. It got me thinking about doing therapy and the clinical side of social work. I spent some time talking with the trainers and they made some suggestions regarding my second year classes. I then found out that the trainer went to school in Louisville, where he got his Masters and Doctorate. Apparently at U of L they don't track students as 'clinical' or 'macro' you get both types of classes. One more reason I should have followed my instinct several years ago and went there. I started thinking about getting my PhD. As much as school is beating me into submission right now, I still enjoy it. Could I do this again? I would like to research and eventually teach. I wouldn't even start a program like that until I had a majority of my loans taken care. I don't know how people do it. 
In other news we got our house! It's the most dreamy house a girl like me could want and rent (within my current financial constraints). The move in date is much sooner than anticipated but we couldn't wait because the house would have went to someone else. I'm excited and nervous but I'm trying to avoid worrying right now because I have way more pressing matters to handle with school. 
I'm really looking forward to the end of next week when I get to interview for a job and a field placement as well as see the house in person. (J tells me it's amazing). Then the Bandit rally and Thunder Over Louisville. (http://thunderoverlouisville.org/)
Have a fantastic week, I am just hoping to survive it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment