Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Bootstraps and rants about ignorance

Lately I've found myself annoyed with all of the propaganda, fodder and facebook posts about the President, the other contenders and the 'hot topics.' I refuse to whine about politics on facebook because it just opens the floodgates for all sorts of problems, so I'll whine here instead. 
I'm having trouble staying open-minded to other people's opinions when to me they just seem blatantly ignorant or plain wrong. Every one has a finger to point or a group to blame. The truth of it is, everyone needs to be accountable for the state of things, not just Democrats or Republicans, conservatives, liberals or right-wing nut jobs. I think sometimes people forget we are actually all on the same team here (even though my nut job comment kind of contradicts that). 
I guess this all started after reading several posts by the same person on facebook about welfare recipients at Wal-Mart who are bad parents and lazy and spend HER money on chips and pop. Now I could just delete her ass off of my feed but then I wouldn't have anything to gripe about now would I? 
It breaks my heart that people think things like that. How many people would choose to be poor? How many people would choose to get a government check for $163 a month (on average) and take food stamps into grocery stores just to be judged by people like that? There aren't as many people that take advantage of the system as one would think.
 You know why we have people that are dependent on public support? Because we created that problem with our values and cultural beliefs. Women couldn't vote until 1920, thus solidifying the thought their voices aren't as important as a man's because it took 144 years to get someone to listen. How's that for making someone feel valued? It just really makes you want to contribute to a society that doesn't value a person, doesn't it? Women still make 77 cents to every dollar a man makes. And women weren't enslaved (in the traditional sense) for hundreds of years....Everyday that we continue to practice the beliefs that some people matter more or less or some groups of people don't 'deserve' to be Americans, we just push everyone down. We make people dependent on us by giving them less power. We make people value objects that display wealth which then translates into importance. Don't we all want to feel important? If I own expensive clothes then I must be important. 
So I guess instead of complaining about the 'welfare queens' at Wal-Mart that are offending YOU by simply existing, maybe you should just shop somewhere else. Or maybe do something productive rather than spreading negative, stereotypical messages about people you don't know. Until you walk in someones shoes you have no idea what it's like to be them. Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is pretty ineffective when you constantly have people pushing you back down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment