Monday, March 14, 2011

Like a non-murderous Manson Family

I awoke at 6am this morning from a dream about my teeth rotting out. In the dream I asked my best friend to look for me because I didn't have a mirror and with the disgusted look on her face I knew it was what I feared. Upon waking up I felt it necessary to go directly to a mirror and explore my mouth with my tongue searching for a crack or crumble. Thankfully my teeth are still intact. I then realized that I was a half hour behind and didn't think about it any further until I got in my car on the way to work. It was an extremely vivid dream and it stuck with me a little longer than most dreams do.   I don't feel very strongly about Freud's theories because I have no interest in having sex with a family member (Was he from Southern Austria?--kidding?) but I do think there is a link between dreams and your waking life. Most of the time I don't sleep enough to get to the dream stage of the REM cycle (or something--I could be making that up) so I don't remember dreams frequently. Anyway, this has gone on too long as it is. The point is that dreams about teeth are often associated with anxiety (who would have guessed!) about your physical appearance or a social setting. I was alone at a show yesterday, thinking about an old friend and feeling a little out of place. Hmm.
I don't remember much about last week except for the fact that I wanted it to end swiftly. And that 3 out of the 5 days started with being called at bitch at 7:05am. That pretty much sets the mood for the day when that happens.
Wednesday I went to 12th and Porter to see my sister's BF play a show. I stayed out way too late for a weeknight but it was totally worth it because we all had a good time. I like making new friends.
I did babysit again this week which was pretty fun. I wanted babies for like 2.7 seconds and then I remembered I have a difficult enough time being responsible for me so it probably wouldn't work. The nice thing about babysitting is that you get to give the children back. I really like the ages of the kids, two and four, because it involves more effective communication. I am not a mind reader so I don't know what crying from a baby means. The garbles between sobs of a toddler can be interpreted after a few tries of asking..."What's that? You want a gun gun? What the hell? Oh Bun Bun-of course the stuffed rabbit." Toddlers don't often ask for guns or give them cute pet names. None that I've come across anyway. For whatever reason the kids seem to have taken a liking to me and we have a blast. It probably helps that I act like a child and enjoy coloring as much as the next four year old. Hopefully I get to do it again soon.
The crazy weather changed again and I ended up congested and lethargic over most of the weekend. Saturday's weather was super nice so I went for  a lengthy walk with my friend ignoring the protests from my agitated knee.
Sunday involved me meeting my sister for ice cream after the notion of her making me dinner was introduced then she later reneged. That's ok, there was still good conversation and doing what we do best with each other-bitching. I discussed a situation with a particular friend and complained about progress being that of the pace of a special Olympic hurdler. She didn't find it funny and I probably offended the woman within earshot. I still laughed. After ice cream I went to the Exit/In by myself to see Kevin Devine, River City Extension (RCE) and Ocean is Theory. I've seen RCE before though it didn't appear that anyone in Nashville had so it was kind of cool to watch the crowd go from disinterest to dancing in three songs. They are so freaking happy and wholesome, it's weird. Their attitudes are totally contagious though so it's hard not to sing along and clap and dance around with them. For the last song they took an acoustic guitar and tambourine and drum into the audience and played their farewell song. The crowd loved it. They remind me of a band of hippies spreading love and peace from venue to venue. A modern day non-evil Manson family if you will. Only Charles Manson himself could leave that show without a smile on his face.
(Ok Manson kind of intrigues me, shut up.) I bet they all live together in a commune when they aren't touring.

Oh so this week is SPRING BREAK!! And I'm pretty psyched about it and the trouble it may bring. Good trouble of course, that's the only kind I get into. 
Have a wonderful week :) I know I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment