Sunday, August 29, 2010

You don't have to be sincere just tell me what I want to hear.

Week two was filled with all sorts of new things. I'm beginning to get a better handle on my job expectations and I've already set up a contract with one of my clients, my boss seemed relatively impressed so that's good news. I've been able to talk more to my coworkers as well and have realized I don't need to censor myself as much as I thought I'd need to. Whew! They all kind of give each other shit and are pretty sarcastic so I seem to fit in pretty well. This week also included my 'supervision' meeting which I found out I have to do weekly with my boss until I've been there for a year, everyone else does once a month. It's kind of nice though because it gives us an opportunity to discuss particular clients or issues we're having and bounce ideas off of each other and I'll be seeing a mix of different people every week. The work week ended with an invite to drinks with two of my coworkers at a bar that included free cover for ladies (another perk of having a vagina) and free drinks until 11. I spent zero dollars which was awesome. The coworker that invited me brought his girlfriend, who is randomly from Grand Rapids and another one of his dude friends. I quickly realized that everyone I work with is dating, married, engaged or pregnant. SWEET! It was still a good time and we all got to know each other a little better. I'm feeling a little more hopeful about this whole making friends thing. Oddly though it made me feel kind of homesick and really wanting to see my friends from the mitten. Soon enough I suppose.
This week's class was also pretty cool. We jumped into the content very quickly and I was on the ball. The gist of the lecture was genetics and how during development (in the womb and after birth) is effected by the environment. They've linked nuturing to changes in your genetics (epigenesis). There is no good way to explain it without going way into depth and I'm just too fucking lazy for that right now. Look it up. Moral of the story is I spoke up with my opinion and asked questions, those of which came with the mention from my prof of being 'excellent questions' so I'll take it. No class next week which is kind of a bummer.
I did some extensive apartment hunting online and went to 2 different apartments to check out. One is in Antioch (its kind of in the scrotum in relation to Nashville if we're speaking in genital terms, which i often do) and the other was supposedly in the West End, if by 'west end' they meant ghetto. Antioch was nice, good price and seemingly safe. 'West End' was everything else. So it seems I will be choosing the 'smart' choice even though I'd much rather be in the west end area where all the hipster and Vanderbilt kids live. I found a puppy when I went to visit the antioch apartments and I almost took him home, he was a tiny French bulldog and I loved him immediately after I got done cussing at him for running out in front of my car. He came up and licked my hand and basically said 'I love you take me home' but alas I was  getting honked at for pulling off onto the side of the road so I set him down away from the road in someone's yard. I may or may not have driven by later on to see if he was still there....just to make sure he was safe.
Today I went to the Frist Museum to see an exhibit on 'The Golden Age of Couture' showcasing high fashion from the 1940's and 50's. I LOVED it. I fell in love with a Christian Dior dress...and wanted to steal it..and go shopping immediately after. Who knows what next week will bring.    

No comments:

Post a Comment