Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rock stars and social workers

Today was pretty fantastic.
I'm a casemanager at a high school that specifically works with kids with behavioral issues and I got my first caseload. For me it just feels like I'm finally being recognized as responsible, which is also kind of scary. I'm beginning to really enjoy my job and feel relatively confident. Plus I love working with teenagers as crazy as that sounds.
And...my day got more interesting and sweet when I went to my first class. The professor is really cool and no nonsense and is really open to discussion. I spoke up early and often through much of the class which is my intention throughout the entire semester so I can get a good reference letter and stay on top of the readings and assignments. We all introduced ourselves and I found out there was a fellow Spartan in the class and also the ex-bassist for Ben Folds whom I promptly made friends with, cos we got paired up. I realized also that I need to tone down my sick sense of humor around people I don't know. Some laugh and some look horrified. However my supervisor uses the word 'fuck' more than I do.
I've also recently learned that if its raining in Nashville then people automatically lose all driving abilities and freak the fuck out. I almost said 'ya'll' today and promptly bit my tongue. It seems like if you're constantly surrounded by it you just can't help it. Yikes.
So far I'm really liking things just missing my friends like crazy. I'm trying to keep busy to think less about it. This weekend I may be going to the Frist to check out an exhibit on 40's and 50's vintage couture, then I may just go shopping, heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment