Sunday, August 22, 2010

One week in.

So I'm one week in to living in Nashville. So far I have learned most of the ropes at the new job, survived rainstorms and driving with my fellow Tennesseans during said rainstorms, found a replacement coffee shop for Biggbys (its called CoCo's) and attended my first masters' class. Not too bad for a week. I'm really trying not to overwhelm myself with everything that I need to get done; GRE, apartment finding, moving, classes, continuing to learn the job, etc. I've gotten a bit better at navigating myself around the city and learning some of the areas, mostly West End which I seem to favor. My garmin has saved my ass several times.
I miss my friends terribly and I've been texting and facebooking tons. I'm considering making a trip up for Labor Day already, ahh, we'll see.
I saw an excellent mullet today at Home Depot and have been on the lookout for many since I've been here. Mostly things are pretty similar to Michigan except for the fact that No ONE ever uses a turn signal around here and it drives me effin crazy. The traffic is way worse but the people seem to be nicer. I've yet to meet anyone outside of work that I'd even consider befriending. It is nice being able to see my sister everyday and hanging out with her puppy, even if she is insane.
I'm making an effort not to allow myself to be sad or mopey, I'm rarely at home unless I'm sleeping or reading.
One of the kids at work told me I sound like I'm from Boston. Ha, I asked him if its because I don't have an accent and then realized that, yes, I do in fact have an accent compared to everyone else.
Adventures of the week: navigating home without a GPS, avoiding getting picked up at a gas station, going to a music Showcase, looking for hangouts and people watching all over downtown.
Next week will involve tons of reading for school and trying to not screw up at work. Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment