Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What a wonderful world it could be.

Today at work I recognized two of the morning regulars, both from my previous job. One of them was a trainer at my orientation and mentioned that she didn't realize I was working over here now instead of over there. She was one of them that wanted me to stay. She is aware of the pay cut that I must have taken to switch jobs. It made me wonder if she thought any further about it. Did she wonder why someone that was skilled in the field and good at their job would leave? I hope she did, maybe it would be a step in recognizing the dysfunctions that are present at that place. But then again, maybe she just drank her morning latte and forgot all about it as she drove the rest of the way to work. Which just reminded me I forgot to get my coffee beans! Rarg. My coworkers seem really cool and easy to get along with thus far. 
Financially it was not a sound decision to work at a coffee shop as opposed to where I was previously. Mentally and emotionally (and probably physically) it was the best decision I could have made. I may not be shaping lives or making positive changes in traumatized people but I am working somewhere that makes decisions that benefit others, and I get to interact with people and maybe brighten their days while doing it. 
That's how I'm rationalizing it, just agree. 
Yesterday I was reminded of how lucky I am. I complain about classes in grad school and waking up extra early for my job but those complaints are just the ramblings of a privileged girl that sometimes needs a wake up call. I have a job, I have the opportunity to get my Masters degree, I have transportation, a roof over my head and a safety net if I ever needed one. 
Our neighbors are awesome individuals and right now I think that they are struggling though I can't be sure how much. We've noticed that they don't have any lights on when it gets dark and the father of the family asked if he could borrow the electrical outlet on the outside of the house so he could charge his phone. Mom works, the kids go to school and the Dad works as a dj when the occasions arise. They don't own a car and rely on the bus. The other day his bike was stolen off of his front porch. Without airing their business I am aware that he has made some bad decisions in his life, a consequence of circumstances and the environment I suppose. Those decisions have created some dilemmas for him and have resulted in studying for his GED at the age of 50. After realizing they were struggling my mind immediately went to available resources, what I could do, and how I could help. It was very presumptuous, I know. It makes me crazy to sit by and watch people struggle. They will figure it out and I will help when I can, maybe invite them for dinner? Keep giving them garden veggies? Accidentally buy too much bread at the store and take it over? Several more scenarios went through my head short of going to an ATM (I'm college poor).
On an unrelated note, it's getting cold here at night and during the day. I'm wearing a hoodie and was under a blanket on the couch for a bit. The sad part is that it's 60 degrees outside and I'm already cold. This winter is going to be rough. And I claim to be from Michigan. Pssh.
Last week was overall pretty good, stayed on top of things and spent time at my internship. I keep worrying and wondering if I'm on the wrong track. I go stir crazy sitting at my desk for 8 hours. I really feel like I need to be doing something more interactive and hands on. Clinical is starting to look better and better.....but I can't admit that aloud. Shh! The rest of the week involved reading, hanging out with my roommates and being a weirdo. 

I'm looking forward to a 'housewarming' party (though we've been warming it for 5 months now!) it is finally happening in under 2 weeks. Woohoo. I'm also looking forward to working more hours and getting used to slinging coffee. Also fall weather which means cardigans, hoodies and boots. Oh my.
Well, I suppose I should stop looking for excuses to delay school work and do it to it. 

Have a wonderful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment