Tuesday, September 4, 2012

At least I'm not in a concentration camp.

Well, well it was a good week and since yesterday was Labor Day my weekend was extended until today. I can't complain about that and I took full advantage by sleeping in every day. Last week was pretty busy and mildly stressful. I had a job interview on Monday and by Wednesday they had called me and I had to turn them down because the hours didn't fit in with my school/internship schedule. Dratsss. I had another interview today that appears to have went pretty well and their schedule is much more flexible and school friendly so we shall see. I feel pretty good about it and it should be a good fit pending me getting the job and it's something completely different than what I've done in the past. 
Last week I struggled with being positive and staying motivated. It seemed like things just didn't want to work out the way I wanted them to but I had to keep things in perspective. I talked to the part time roomie about it. She brought up a good point, at least we aren't in concentration camps. Life could be way worse than it ever is for me, so when things didn't go as planned I had to remind myself of that. So if life ever gives you lemons, at least you aren't in a concentration camp, right?  
So, most of the week I spent waiting for a book to arrive at my house and cursing the mailman every day that it didn't. I know it's not his fault (it's mine for ordering a used book and not realizing it was coming from the UK!). So I worked on school stuff, attempted to feel better while still coming out of the sickness and read for hours upon hours about child fatality for my internship. The book finally came today. Two days after being told it wasn't going to be here until September 13th and ordering a second copy of the book to be rushed here. Thanks, Amazon, I like to pay shipping on books I'm going to return because your calculations were off by over a week. Grr. 
I realized that taking online classes is for the birds. I do not like it, I'd prefer not to do it and I wish that UT would understand that just because a program is small, in person classes are the way to go. I understand that financially it makes way more sense to do online rather than employ professors to teach a four student class, but it really sucks for those four students. I don't regret going macro. I'll make it work and sort out how to time manage intangible things. And work on learning how to use Excel and LOVE it. 
Friday after my internship Jason and I went to a friend's wedding. It was a really good time with drinking, dancing and photo booth. After the wedding we went out with friends and continued the party. Saturday I got to meet up with my former supervisor from last year's practicum. She always has insightful things to say and always gets me thinking. It was a nice visit. Afterward Jen and I did some shopping and I had planned to get some school work done but ended up spending the rest of the day hanging with Jen. The rest of the weekend I spent time with Jason and my school work. I enjoyed just hanging around at home and cooking meals and relaxing. Twas a good weekend overall. Yesterday I spent much of the day hanging out and doing school work. We spent the night at a dive bar playing trivia and losing badly. Monday night trivia is one of the things that I get to look forward to with being social and testing my knowledge by recalling things I've heard on NPR. 
This next week I'll be doing the usual with school and internship, hoping to get a call back for a second interview and still avoiding picking up shifts at my current job. I haven't worked there since the third week of August and I hope to be putting my two weeks in as soon as possible. Last week I struggled with wondering what I want to do as a social worker, I've got 9 months and several years to figure it out but it's been a question that's been raised a few times by professors and in other venues. I just want to find something I'm good at and I'm not really sure what that is at the moment. I know I can do the therapeutic stuff, not that I'm necessarily great at it, plus there is still a ton to learn but I'd really like to start carving out a niche soon. 
Lots of things to contemplate, good things. 
Have a wonderful week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment