Monday, October 10, 2011

I'm not going anywhere..

Suffice it to say, I did not want to return to Nashville this morning. I knew what was ahead of me; school, internship and lots and lots of reading. The weekend was perfection. The days prior to Thursday night were not so much...
As I mentioned I started my internship this week. I was scheduled to start the internship on Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. I left with a lot of extra time anticipating the Nashville traffic to be crap in the morning and it's supposed to take 30 solid minutes to get there anyway. I left at 8:05 a.m. and was sitting still on the highway by 8:15 a.m. After doing this for 15 minutes I turned on the radio to listen to traffic and called my supervisor to let her know I was stuck. I then waited for 30 minutes and by this time I was supposed to be there. My supervisor called to see if I had moved...I had...inches. She called back 25 minutes later to tell me that she and the director had meetings in the afternoon and I should just start the following day. Two minutes later, traffic starts moving and I'm off the highway. A semi jack-knifed and brought traffic to a complete halt for most of Nashville. I heard people talking it later in the day saying that some people didn't get to work til 10:30 a.m. Yeesh. So I took the rest of the day to eat lunch with my sister and her bf and then read for the rest of the day. Wednesday morning I left the house again with a ton of extra time and ended up getting to my internship incredibly early. Naturally. The day went well. A lot of it was spent talking, an extended lunch and then a meeting with one of the agencies with contract work with. That evening I participated in eating some very southern food and went to a chicken shack for 'hot chicken.' That's how its referred to down here. It just means spicy as fuck until your mouth is on fire and you are chugging water. I powered through. Apparently it was done on Man v Food and my sister's bf and his friend wanted to take the challenge. It was really good as were the sides but I'm about done with traditional Southern cooking for a little while. Especially after experiencing turnip greens on the same day and finding out how they were prepared AFTER eating them. Yuck. Thursday I got very acquainted with the Workforce Investment Act Youth handbook and introduced myself to nearly every person in the building. Everyone is super nice. Some people are funny and sarcastic, others are pretty straight-laced, including my direct supervisor so I just need to keep it professional. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it. 
Immediately after my day was done I made the trek to Louisville. Oh Louisville. That city and that man have my heart for sure. 
Thursday we stayed inside and made dinner, well he made dinner I watched. Friday we drove up to Grand Rapids to be at his friend's wedding. The drive up was gorgeous! We got to see all of the amazing fall colors all the way up to Michigan. It made me miss Michigan like crazy. The wedding was a wedding. It was the total opposite of what I would expect many of my friend's weddings to look like. I'm going to keep all other opinions to myself because religion is a tricky subject. After the wedding we needed to find drinks so we went downtown GR for the remainder of the evening with another friend of Jason's who is hilarious. One of the funniest kids I've ever met. Jason and I drove over the Lansing and had a really great talk about life in general. Car rides have a tendency to be the venue for deep conversations, which I enjoy. 
Saturday we got to spend time with my very best friends and took advantage of being in Michigan. I even got to surprise Scuba for his birthday and learned that I unwittingly made an enemy of my ex's wife while trying to do the exact opposite of that about a year ago. Oh well. Sunday was spent driving back, outlet shopping (window shopping for me) and then games with friends. 
AHHmazing weekend had to come to an end. Damn.
So, if you need a place for hot chicken or meat and 3's come visit and I'll send you in that direction and won't be following. The South is so weird with their food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment