Sunday, October 30, 2011

Look, you started the handicap seating over here!

Wowza, my arms are tired. My legs are tired. My everything is tired. Crutches are like a workout machine at the gym. None that I've ever used but that's not saying much. I found it to be very effective in working out the arm I use to punch with, be afraid....pssh.
This week was a roller coaster. It started off with me missing class on Monday thus not being able to meet with my group or get the results back on a paper I turned in. My prof keeps promising to post the grades but has yet to do so which is driving me crazy. Tuesday I didn't take my pain meds so that I could drive to my internship. I only stayed for four hours and they were rough. My body was still adjusting to being out and about as well as not having my foot elevated. I held it together long enough to get thai and receive my birthday presents from my Mom, who enjoys shopping for purses and wallets even more than me. I was gifted with a laptop bag and a wallet both from fossil, they rock. Wednesday was 7 hours of class and a meeting with my prof about our group project for research. Thankfully we didn't have much to edit and we did a pretty good job. It feels good to have the semester start to wrap up. Thursday was a little rough, I woke up feeling bad and had zero motivation or energy to do much of anything. On top of that my Mom was leaving that day and my sister was going back to work so I knew that I was going to be on my own. I came home from field placement and  crashed on the couch for the rest of the night. Friday I did the internship again and it was a bit better. I found myself looking for an excuse to leave the house, though going in most places is a huge pain in the ass. 
Saturday I woke up feeling much better and decided to venture out to work on some papers and projects. That turned into lunch with a friend and then the two of us meeting up with two other friends to go to a bonfire in Whites Creek.  I was a bit apprehensive worrying about the logistics of seats, uneven ground and wet grass, yeesh. Thankfully I had friends to help out and I made it just fine. There was another kid on crutches that put his seat close to mine while the bands were playing, so we had our own handicap section far enough away from the kids that danced and pushed each other around. The highlight of the party was Gumby pretending to hump the bass player from behind and was completely oblivious. People watching at parties like that makes my night. There was a huge range in age of people there, a lot younger than us but we also saw a man in his 60's with a watermelon painted on his face....still not sure if he was supposed to be a mixed up Care Bear or what. We stayed long enough to freeze our asses off and my exposed toes had no feeling left in them at that point so the most obvious thing to do was to go get ice cream. We hung out around Steak and Shake for over an hour bullshitting and making fun of each other. It was exactly what I needed, even if it reminded me of high school. 
I'm getting around much better and I don't get so tired and sore on the crutches anymore. I need to remind myself to slow down sometimes before I fall off a curb. Give it time, I'm a klutz. 
Tomorrow it will be 2 weeks since my mishap so I'm thinking I'm doing pretty good as far as progress goes. I have an appointment on Wednesday where I will get this stupid cast off (hopefully!) and maybe a boot. I'm afraid these crutches are here to stay for a while. I'm hoping to be off of them before Christmas. Fingers crossed. 
Next weekend may involve venturing out of the city....we'll have to see what the doctor says. 
So, in closing...there are just a few perks of being on crutches.
1. People are super helpful, even strangers.
2. I'm getting ripped! (hah, ok just less chubby)
3. They are an acceptable excuse to use an elevator or motorized cart (which I have yet to take advantage of).
4. It keeps me from going shopping and spending money I shouldn't. 


I'm able to maneuver myself pretty well already, next week, tricks. 
Have a lovely week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment