Sunday, August 21, 2011

"If you look disinterested, I will kill you!"

I thought that it might be nice to sit outside and write tonight, unfortunately it still has yet to cool off and is humid as ever. I am in need of a cool breeze and probably a reapplication of deodorant, I can't wait til Fall hits us. However I have learned that Fall in Tennessee doesn't come til around late October and the days still get up to the 80's but the nights are usually nice and cool. I probably shouldn't want hoodie weather quite yet but being back in school makes me think of leaves changing and hot apple cider from Biggby's, oh man do I miss that.
This week was my first week of classes, tomorrow will start the first full week. Not being on an actual campus for school is kind of weird. And a pain in the ass when it comes to getting books for class. Oh well, I don't want to be in Knoxville anyway. I had two classes on Wednesday. My morning professor is younger, full of energy and kind of out there. She laughs at her own jokes (I can appreciate that) and seems to like things to be casual. My research professor in the afternoon has an awesome sense of humor and the first class she carried around a miniature Chicago Cubs bat. There was never an explanation as to why though I was dying to ask. She threatened to kill us if we looked disinterested during class and then laughed maniacally (maybe that explains the bat but that doesn't seem like an effective way to commit murder). I think I'm going to like her. She's also my advisor and went to grad school at Ohio State. Football season may get interesting. The profs didn't waste time in assigning readings and papers. My first paper is already due Tuesday, though it's a really short one. I had a 3 hour class Thursday morning and spent time talking to a few of my classmates about my experience in the field. Though I am in the younger end of the spectrum of my program I seem to have as much or more experience in the field than the others. I'm excited to get this school year underway and am already looking forward to my internship though I've still got over a month before it starts. My field placement instructor said that around 70% of the students at their internship end up with job offers but that's more likely in the second year. The most rad part about my field placement is the fact that I will be getting a small stipend. That will be especially helpful if my search for a part time job is unsuccessful. Oh money.
Speaking of money, I have decided that in an effort to keep from completely screwing myself financially I either need to find a roommate or move back in with my sister. Talks are being had and it looks like I've got some options so soon I will be saying goodbye to underpants dances in my kitchen and not closing doors. Farewell personal privacy, hello being able to pay my bills. That's always neat.
Netflix has become a disease again this week and will likely continue. Mad Men in its entirety is on there as well as Lost. No wonder why I leave my house to study and read.
This weekend I spent a lot of time by myself. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes it's not. This weekend proved to be a little difficult and made me reflect on why I think the way that I do. Damn introspection. I did get a chance to catch up with some friends here, which was much needed. It's harder to spend time with people when they've got different obligations that you can't really connect with. I'm not a churchgoer and I don't really see myself ever being one, but to each his own, right? Everyone has their own take on spirituality and faith, mine don't involve organization. I know I'm going to be confronted with that with clients and already have been at times but everyone has those dilemmas I suppose.
Anyway, next week means reading, class and job hunting as well as lunch with the E.D. and program director at the internship. As well as counting down to being able to see my boyfriend. Come on Labor Day weekend!
Have an excellent week.

No comments:

Post a Comment