Sunday, August 7, 2011

'He's dancing naked!...'Well he deserved it'

Ohhh where to begin?
I suppose the beginning of the week, last Monday. As was mentioned in the previous post I have been spending the last week in Louisville visiting the boy and enjoying time off before school starts. Monday involved helping a friend pick up an insane amount of lumber at Lowe's so that he can build a shed in his back yard. This involved about 2 hours picking out and loading wood into a U-Haul with 2 other dudes and then unloading the U-haul FULL of wood to his back yard. Large plywood boards are quite unwieldy and making about 50 or 75 trips from the truck to the backyard in ridiculous humidity and heat does not make for a fun time. However, we were rewarded for our work with amazing cucumber margaritas and pizza. Then we woke up early the next morning to move the old pieces of shed into the U-Haul and to the dump. At this point I'm wondering if Jason is angry with me considering the amount of manual labor he's signed me up for  or if it's just some form of torture. Neither are the case he's just a good guy who helps out his friends and I just so happened to be in town to help as well.....I was quite bruised and sore by Tuesday afternoon and then went over to his other friends house so that we could fix my car. Turns out the radiator needed replacing due to a crack in it-a misdiagnosis from the Firestone here, thanks, a-hole. Thankfully the quirky friend is mechanically inclined and was willing to help me out for the price of a case of beer. HUGE help. And I learned a few things while helping replace it. It ended up being a 2 day process due to parts and mishaps but through no fault of the friend. By Wednesday I had remarked being sick of doing 'dude' stuff to no avail though because it was moped rally weekend for the Bourbon Bandits and I got wrangled into helping. How could I not when they are all super awesome people? So from Wednesday on it was MOPEDs, mopeds, dancing, mopeds, hipsters, mopeds, dancing and swimming.
So back in April when I met this boy that I have fallen for it was at a moped rally. And then I blogged about and made fun of the whole concept 'cos let's be honest, I'm kind of an ass sometimes. Being there and watching it be planned and carried out made me realize how much work goes into it, how much of a sub-culture it has become and that people are just damn crazy. About 200 people showed up on Friday to join in the festivities so from about 12pm and on I was surrounded by exhaust smoke and kids in skinny jeans or cut of 'jorts' if you will. People were showing up after long drives (one girl told me it took her and her crew 20 hours! from New England!) and were ready to get right in it. It was cool to see all of these people meeting up to share in a hobby that they've taken to and enjoyed. It was twenty and thirty-something year old big kids. The excitement was contagious and by the end of the night Friday I could totally understand why people went to such extents to get there. Saturday involved me driving a chase vehicle to pick up any riders that had broken down on the 30 mile ride to the quarry (Falling Rock Park in LaGrange, KY). The quarry was awesome because it's basically a swimming hole created by a man that wanted to blast into rock. So there was drinking, swimming, drinking and camping. Oh and drinking. One of the gangs also set up lights and music when it got dark which created an impromptu dance party. Night swimming is always and blast and we made use of like 150 glow sticks. It was kind of like being a kid again and I'm always ok with that. The man that fixed my car also did a celebratory dance after miraculous feats of engineering. Yikes.
Overall amazing week. I'm leaving out ridiculous details including getting dressed up and going to see a soul band and dancing as well as sushi and meeting some really incredible people through the boy.
However I just realized the connector cord for my laptop is busted and the battery will soon die....frick. Also I'm having some anxiety in social settings which needs to be remedied immediately.
Anyway, more adventures next week including a trip to the mitten. Wooooot.
Have a fantastic week, I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment