Sunday, April 10, 2011

Name-calling like the playground days

I still can distinctly remember being the little girl hanging upside down on the jungle gym being taunted about my last name or which boy I had a crush on or for being helpful  to the teacher (I was not a teacher's pet!). Even once there may have been the stereotypical pulling of the pig tails. Sadly none of that ever really ends. Boys will still look for stupid ways to get your attention and people with still say hurtful things about you. The playground is a smaller scale version of adulthood sans the bills and substance abuse (one would hope). You have your key players; playground monitors (your boss, authority, parents, etc), your crush, the bully, the socially awkward, the followers, the nerds, the cool kids and then there's you somewhere in the mix. There are norms, rules and playground politics. I was told to play nice with everyone which I feel still rings true today, without compromising honesty or self respect. There were a few instances this week when I felt like I was back on the swing set having insults lobbed at me and pretending not to be bothered. I suppose that's what you get when you play with children.
Alas, this week involved me at the gym every day. My knee is not back to normal but I'm pretty much doing what I can to do low impact stuff. It felt good to get back into the swing of things. Work, gym, dinner, whatever. Normalcy. Even work wasn't as bad this week, from what I can remember....I think my brain is storing that memory someplace else and it won't come out until I develop Dissociative Identity Disorder (aka multiple personalities). We are now in the single digits as far as weeks left of school and weeks until I am jobless and poor. It's funny because I don't think about it often but I'm beginning to have some somatic issues related to stress. Might want to watch out for that. In the meantime pretending like everything is a-ok works really well for me.
The weather was gorgeous this week and I am becoming what normal people would consider "pale" rather than my usual translucent skin color. Saturday and today were actually just hot and humid which kind of scares me because it's only April. The rest of the weekend was hardly productive except that I got a haircut and made $50 to sell tee shirts at a concert. The people watching at country concerts is pretty epic and people spend ridiculous money on merch.
On a side note I am a huge brat.
My parents are coming down this week and I've got work. Other than that hopefully it's the gym, the skatepark and sunny weather.
Have a wonderful week :)

***I realize this was after I posted but it goes along with the name calling theme. I went to watch the Nashville Predators (hockey if you don't know) play the Columbus Blue Jays on Friday. Not only are the Predators fans poor sports but they talked shit about the Red Wings the entire game. Chanting 'you suck' at every opportunity. They weren't even playing the wings! WTF?!? I don't think I'll be returning to watch them play unless it's to watch them lose to the Wings.  Dickbags. I'm sure the team is awesome but a lot of the fans are jerks. Also there chants lack any wit or creativity. Na Na Na nah Boo Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment