Sunday, October 10, 2010

an empty box of IOUs

Currently I'm sitting on the front porch of Jill's house thoroughly enjoying the weather and waiting for some paint to dry. It's still in the 80's here and the leaves are beginning to change. The weather in one word: ama-za-zing. Ok that's not a real word but its fun to say. Today I've been productive enough to legitimize sitting on my ass for the rest of the day. Oil change, brakes checked, car washed, table clear-coated and part of my 50 page chapter read. It's just 3pm and I'm spent. The rest of the week was pretty similar but included some fun things too. Met with my group twice for our class presentation this coming Wednesday, they annoy me plain and simple. (I'm not going to be mean...I'm not going to be mean...) Bought a couch which was awesome and I'm back to broke, ha. Also bought a coffee table and a TV stand on which I will place the TV I'm getting for my birthday, no more tube tv's for me I've joined 2010. I bought the coffee table at a thrift store that was stocked with Jesus paraphernalia and very helpful people. The lady made a boy carry the table for me out to my car (it weighs max 15 pounds) just one more show of southern hospitality. It is true when people say that people are typically much more friendly and helpful in the South. There's a lot more small talk and 'hellos' 'hows your days' and 'baby's' the last one I hate. What people don't tell you is that the more friendly and hospitable people are that it makes it that much more likely you are going to get into conversations that you don't want to have, namely with a boy wearing a terrible mohawk and hawaiian shirt 3 minutes into the conversation disclosing he's been institutionalized twice and has severe clinical depression. Hey thanks for lurking over my shoulder while I'm wearing ear buds attempting to read and interrupting me so we can have a 45 minute conversation about your depression and why you enjoy time travel. Cafe Coco is frequented by interesting people some of which you DO NOT want to get into an accidental conversation with and feel creeped out for the rest of your time there. My sister says I'm too nice and should have told him to politely fuck off 5 minutes in, but I just can't do that and I don't know why, however it's something I need to work on. Other than that there was fantastic sushi with friends, Project Runway night, enjoying the weather, and overall good things happening. I'm psyched to move into my new place next weekend and can't wait to see my parents. Yes I said it. (shh! don't tell them)
I've always wondered how I've been so lucky with things and bad things happen to good people all the time....Better not press my luck I suppose.
Next week will be swell, after the presentation that is, because my kids will be starting Fall Break on Friday which means a week without class hooty hoo. I still have to work but the hours are really limited and it'll be a lot of online trainings and whatnot.
I'm too proud of myself for this stupid coffee table but I took before and after pictures. I sanded and painted and sealed. I think I'm not quite finished yet and was considering painting a small pattern on each corner to make it even more me. It will go nicely with my framed portrait of a stenciled raccoon playing in the weeds. AHAHAHA. oh man, my apartment will look like it was decorated by a special needs child. Pictures to come when I'm all done with it.


The gray paint has 'paint crystals' in it which are kind of hard to see due to the lack of sunlight on it. It makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment