Sunday, May 27, 2012

Umm, you're incorrect officer

I'm not a huge fan of showering twice in one day. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being clean but showering morning and night purely because the humidity makes you sweat while you're just walking around or eating dinner doesn't make me super happy. The last two days have been making me sweat like a pedophile at a Chuck E Cheese. Gross.
So let's recap the week. 
Work. Work was interesting this week because I started my shadow shifts on the floor so I'm actually working with the kiddos. There are things that I like and things that are perturbing. I constantly have to remind myself that the focus there is more on therapy, less on consequenting the kids. I'm a big fan of pointing out behaviors, positive and negative but apparently there planned ignoring is the action of choice. The staff are burned out and in some of them it's apparent. I find it difficult to let behaviors go until they get to the point of destruction and I don't think that's the intention but that seems to happen frequently. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is something I'm going to continue past the summer, but we'll see. The staff that I've worked with have been really cool and encouraging which is nice. Friday night was my first shift in the dorms instead of the school and it didn't go smoothly, not just in my dorm but within the entire facility. The new staff seemed to be a bit shell shocked. After work on Friday I was driving a co-worker to health clinic when I was pulled over. I PROMISE I was watching my speed so I was confused as to what he wanted. He approached the car and asked for my license, yadda, yadda. Questioned me about where I was going, why I had a Tennessee drivers license and Michigan plates, and asked me and my coworker if we had ever been in any kind of trouble. After all this I finally asked him if I was speeding. He replied, "no" and told me he'd be right back after taking both of our licenses. We both sat there confused trying to figure out why he was taking both licenses, why he pulled me over and what the hell was going on. He came back to the car and told me that I had 10 days after moving to the state of Kentucky to get a new license and switch my registration. (According to the State of Kentucky Department of Transportation's website it's 30 days, I knew he was incorrect). He also told me one of the tiny lights by my license plate was burned out and I needed to get it fixed. Asshole. I have some theories as to why he pulled us over, one of them in relation to my coworker being a black male in that part of town. I wish I had his badge number so I could let him know he is misinformed about the deadline for transferring a license just because he was kind of an arrogant prick. Yes I'm a bit salty about it, I haven't had too many positive experiences with police officers. I talked about it with my friend that's about to graduate from the police academy, he gave a few more reasons as to why I may have gotten pulled over. Who knows, I'd like to assume it was well-intentioned.   
Outside of work I spent a lot of time at home trying to clean or help Jason with his chickens. Thursday after work I came home to a backyard full of wood scraps and Jason with a circular saw. He declared it was time to make a chicken coop and enlisted a friend to help. We got together with friends after to hang out and enjoy the night. Saturday morning he picked up 3 chickens and finished the coop. After that we drove to Nashville for our friend's wedding. The wedding was great and everything looked fantastic but it was so bloody humid that it made it difficult to not look like a drowned rat. After leaving about a mile down the road my car starts acting up. We pull into a gas station to check the fluids, plugs and whatever else we could think of that would make it run so angrily. After trying everything we could think of a friend told us it sounded like a misfiring and it should be safe to drive home, just listen to the car and drive at a speed where it sounds like it's running ok. I set the cruise to 60 and drove the 3 hours back to Louisville on edge wondering if my car was going to give up on me. I had it tested today, it is a misfiring in the fourth cylinder and the knock sensor is on. I'm crossing my fingers that this is work we can do ourselves because spark plugs and wires aren't insanely expensive. We shall see.
This week I really struggled with staying positive because a lot of the things happening around me weren't going the way I was wanting them to. Expectations are a son of a bitch. I need to get back on track with looking at things in a more positive light and complain less. The heat does not aid that process. 
Hoping to enjoy having the backyard chickens and also seeing some tomatoes ripen enough to pick this week. 
Have a wonderful week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment