Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Crying teenage girls = nails on a chalkboard

I'm currently posting from my phone because my laptop is dead. I'm just waiting for my phone to bite it too, it keeps doing odd things like turning itself off and sporadically quits making noise or the camera stops working. I should probably get it looked at, oops.
Let's see.....this past week was pretty standard and I'm having trouble remembering what happened. I finished up my last week of orientation at work and yesterday was my first 'shadow' day. There are some definite similarities between there and the last residential. Typical teen behavior with cussing and snide remarks. Girls are much more gossipy and there are a lot more tears. It's definitely something I'll be able to handle for the summer. It sounds like the summer staff are responsible for taking the girls on outings which is pretty cool because there are usually less behavioral problems and it will be an opportunity to learn more about what the city has to offer. In the meantime I will have to learn how to not get annoyed at the sound of a teenage girl crying about not being able to put makeup on. Or about how her girlfriend cheated on her on an outpass and now she wants to punch her, but then is nice to her face. Females are odd creatures, being a female gives me very little insight to the array of crazy some women are capable of. Plus we are all a little crazy in our own ways.
Aside from work there were hangouts and a significant amount of time spent at street festivals. Friday there was a street fest in the Highlands that we hung around. It was mostly food trucks, beer and other food vendors. A friend and I spent a lot of time people watching. There were live bluegrass bands playing throughout the night. The last band that played was pretty damn good. The South is getting to me if I can admit to enjoying bluegrass. Yikes. After that we had backyard drinks at another friend's place with good conversation. Saturday Jason and I went to the Old Louisville Spring Fest which was mildly disappointing but we did leave there with two tomato plant starts. We played nerdy board games later that night. Sunday we again went to a Buy Local annual festival that consisted of what it sounds like; all the local shops and businesses set up shop and peddle their wares in a large field with music in the background. It was super hot out so we didn't long but we did find a gift for a friend. It was a piece of art with Burt Reynolds laying naked in a submarine sandwich. It was a manwhich and it was amazing. After dropping that off and acquiring even more tomato plants we came home and made pizza for friends that came over to hang. So we have like 5 tomato plants in the garden as well as peppers and a bunch of other veggies. I can't wait to start picking. I'm glad Jason knows what he's doing in the garden cos I certainly don't.
During the week we continued getting things sorted out for the house and our 3rd roommate moved in. It's temporary but it's nice to have someone else in the house when Jason is working nights. We also put up some new shelving in the bathroom which is amazing. By we I mean Jason and his friend designed and constructed it while I watched and swept up sawdust. It looks awesome though, I think a large bookshelf will be the next project. I'll post pictures as soon as all the rooms are finished. Next on the list is planning a housewarming.
This coming weekend we go to Nashville for a wedding, then a few weeks after in another wedding in Michigan. In the meantime, work, work, work.
Have a wonderful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment