Sunday, September 12, 2010

some seeds they just don't ever grow

The week went quite fast being that it was only a four day work week. Things were pretty typical. Talked to kids, called parents, emailed my boss about aggravating people and continued fighting for the underdog, though most of the time that's what I feel like. I loved class again this week and we're going more in depth with neurodevelopment and the brain. The material that we're required to read is usually pretty interesting and not toooo dry. My patience was definitely a bit shorter this week and I had a hard time not focusing so much on my feelings.
I felt super lonely this week. It's weird because it seems like the more I go out and hang out with my new friends I miss everyone else so much more. I guess over all just kind of a rough week. The nice thing about the South is I feel like people are more friendly, which everyone says, but also I feel like they are much more open and welcoming making efforts to make you feel more comfortable. I have not felt unwelcome or like an outcast the entire time I've been here. I've also noticed that stereotyping is more present and out in the open. My new clients and some of the other students like to imitate me when they say I sound 'white'....not really sure how to respond to that, usually I just laugh and agree cos I am white and am a huge nerd. I went out on Thursday and Saturday with the same group of people that I've been spending time with and the people that have kind of welcomed me in. One of my new friends is even making attempts to set me up with his friends...ha, I think I'm going to handle that on my own when I'm ready. I just need to remember that feeling lonely is part of being in a new place and not to make silly or uninformed decisions just because I don't want to feel lonely at that time. If that makes sense....I've also come to the conclusion that there's no way I'm ready for a pet of any kind. Not even a goldfish.
This upcoming week will be busy with trainings and a group meeting for class, we have a very large paper due in a month about infancy and FAS and I'm pretty psyched to research it.

No comments:

Post a Comment