Sunday, March 4, 2012

Thoreau vs Kaczynski: A battle royale

It's been an odd day. I kept track of the MSU game while I was working on my school work. They lost, I wanted to cry. I then got wrangled into a political debate with four people after a conversation started about Detroit Coney Islands (I'm wearing a Michigan State shirt). A man asked me about the economy in Michigan and then it spiraled into a conversation about President Obama. He started it, I promise, and I tried my hardest to be objective until he started making claims that Obama hasn't done anything, he's increased the debt, got us into war and gives welfare and benefits only to black people. AHHH! Wrong. Wrong. I want to punch people. Wrong. I always have to remind myself that I am outnumbered here in the great state of Tennessee. Another man joined the conversation saying that he made a good living (a million a year!) and that 'bums' are getting the same benefits as he is. AHH! Come on! After these two older women chimed in about Obama being useless I walked away. Don't ask me my opinion if you're not going to listen and don't tell me I'm one-sided after you say that you support our current Congress and democrats are doing whatever they want. AHH! Ok. I'm done.
This week I continued to let my anxiety get the best of me. I can feel it throughout my body. It's not just about the grade, I want to make sure that I am doing absolutely everything I can in order to feel satisfied with the outcome.  I'm working on three group projects at once and the stress of it is beginning to get to me. I know I can handle it. I just need to keep telling myself that. So a large majority of my time this week was spent working on stuff outside of class and my internship. I also squeezed some time in there to volunteer at Second Harvest Food Bank. Come to find out they get upwards of 25,000 volunteers a year! That is impressive and I'd like to figure out their strategy. When I wasn't doing what I needed to I was sleeping. I continued to look for a suit for my upcoming interviews, which I still haven't been able to schedule. I've tried on clothes everywhere and kind of want to give up on that venture.
I avoided socializing with pretty much anyone I didn't have to because my anxiety makes me want to be as reclusive as Ted Kaczynski. Not like constructing bombs, maybe I should have said Henry David Thoreau's Walden Pond years. I wonder who would win in a fight between the two of them. They are a little more alike than one would consider. One was a poet and the other was a murderer but I think Thoreau could have taken him. I think there needs to be an Epic Rap Battle at least.battle it up!
 I think I'll start feeling a little better after Wednesday but who knows really, it may be after April. There is so much to get done between the four classes, internship and some volunteer work for the Phi Alpha honors society which I am eligible for due to my gpa. J was super stressed too until he made the decision to change some things around with school to minimize it. I wish i had that option right now, but I'm glad he's feeling better because I thought we were both about to go into meltdown mode. He's coming to visit Wednesday night before starting his Spring Break in Seattle, lucky. My Spring Break is in about two weeks and I can't wait! I get to see some friends and family while I visit the mitten. Now I just need for things to fall into place with the internships and school. I am closing up shop on school work for the night and am going to buy Across the Universe and go to bed early because I'm really cool like that. This week there were a ton of exhausting debates about religion, politics, the homeless, and legislation. I need to turn my brain off for a night and not talk about any of it. Then tomorrow morning it's back to NPR and social justice. 
Have a great week, I just need to hang on til Wednesday. 
<3

2 comments:

  1. Bible Belt Betty, you are a hero to me. This project would be so far behind without you lighting the fire under my ass and making me work for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. Jeff, I'm very glad we're group members, even if we are stubborn as hell.

      Delete