Thursday, March 1, 2012

The right girl, the wrong city.

Lately I keep finding myself confronted with the question, 'so how do you like Nashville?' I've been here for about a year and 8 months but every time I meet a new person and they know I'm not originally from here they always have to ask. Asking me how I like Nashville implies that I like it to some degree, which I can't even decide is true. I'm never sure how to respond. For one, I don't really want to offend someone that is a Nashville native (though they seem few and far between-this city is a city of imports). Two, living in Nashville for 20 months in no way makes me a good judge on what the city has to offer. Don't get me wrong, I've been from one end to the other exploring but there are still a few things I haven't done. I want to visit the Adventure Science Center. Anyway, to answer that question I usually shrug my shoulders and say, 'it's ok.' I think that is the first sign that there really no draw for me. I don't enjoy country music or the country music culture. I don't like hunting, NASCAR, or conservative ideologies. I don't like most fried food or vegetables cooked in pork fat. And one of the things that most bothers me about Nashville or Southern culture is the fake niceness, that saccharine sweet demeanor to your face but never having any intentions of carrying out plans or just being mean behind your back. And the drivers, OH DEAR GOD THE DRIVERS.
Now don't get me wrong, I have more than just negative things to say about Nashville. Unfortunately those things I have to say can be said about most cities. There's a music scene, there are great coffee shops, great restaurants, etc. Though I don't think I'll find another cafe like Cafe Coco or better people watching than the watching at Fan Fair. The best parts about Nashville are the friends I've made here and the people I've met. I was talking to a woman that works at Vanderbilt this morning over coffee and she was trying to convince me not to leave. She asked me why I wouldn't stay, but why would I? 
It's funny because as soon as I started feeling settled here, comfortable with where things were at, finding favorite spots I was already thinking about leaving. When I moved to Nashville I gave myself 2-4 years and then it was time to move on. It took me less than a year to figure out that I wanted to be anywhere else. I've never felt connected to this place. Some would say that it's because I haven't given it a chance, but I've worked here, I've been in school here and day in and day out I have LIVED here. There's just no spark. It's like telling yourself that you should stay in a relationship because, 'he's really sweet' or 'at least he doesn't beat me' well sure those are good qualities but not enough reason to continue a long term relationship. I view my relationships with a city the same way I would with a good friend or partner, if there isn't a spark it's just not going to last.'Music City, USA' is not my soul mate even though the name might lead one to believe we'd be a perfect match. Nashville and I just aren't connecting. As much as I loathe moving, in a couple months I'll be doing it again. For god's sake let's hope this next one sticks. In the meantime I'll keep adventuring and learning.


Sorry Nashville, I'm just not that into you.

No comments:

Post a Comment