Saturday, March 10, 2012

ankle update, 5 months out

Lately I've been thinking about skateboarding. The weather has been so nice lately and this is definitely the time I'd be at the concrete park. Every time I think about skating my mind immediately goes to my ankle. My desire to never break a major bone (or 2) again is greater than my desire to skateboard right now. It's frustrating. 
So on the 17th of this month it will have been five months since I broke my ankle. The good thing is, my ankle is relatively back to normal. I thought if anyone else experiences a broken ankle and a dislocated foot followed by surgery with pins and a plates, this is how it goes. My flexibility is at about 90%, I still get some swelling if I walk long distances or run at all. I'll get there eventually. 
On October 17th:




On November 2nd:


I was in a boot after the stitches were removed on November second. I had a follow up appointment on December 7th, I was told that within 10 days I could walk without aid of the crutches. I ditched the crutches by December 13th. I kept the walking boot on until January 20th after yet another follow up and set of x-rays. In total I ended up with a metal plate (the length of the incision), 7 pins, 1 large screw, was on crutches for a solid 8 weeks and in a cast or boot for 12 weeks. 
So what does a post-op ankle look like 5 months later?:
As you can tell my ankles are still not the same size. I don't know when that's going to change. Soon I hope. 
So there it is folks. 




No comments:

Post a Comment